Wednesday 1 February 2012

What Is Happiness?

I have a genuine fascination for reading books. I also enjoy using the internet on a daily basis but if I had to choose between the two, I would rather keep my books instead of the computer. There is something wonderful about getting hold of a new book and allowing the story to unfold before you, or in a design book, learning something new and the plethora of visual stimulus. In a nutshell, I get through a lot of books!
My current reading matter suits the mood of the country perfectly and what most people are trying to achieve. The Art Of Happiness by H.H. Dalai Lama and Howard C. Cutler, (Cutler 1998).

I am not really a fan of self help books or ones that profess to change your life for the better but everyone should read this one. With everyone concerned about the recession and how to make ends meet at the moment, it is worth taking a moment to consider what is important in life.
There are many quotes that I could publish but I think you need to read the whole book and not have it spoiled. There is one aspect that he touches on however, which possibly explains why so many people are unhappy. Our consumerist society in some way is to blame. There is always something new that we want to buy, whether its a new car, television, phone etc and we are never happy. I was talking to someone the other day who changes her mobile phone every six months when a new model comes out. The old one hadn't broken so why keep buying new phones. Its that feeling of never being satisfied that can be so destructive.
In the book there is a part that interested me about impulsive buying, the Dalai Lama writes,

"Now, for example, sometimes I visit supermarkets. I really love to see supermarkets because I can see so many beautiful things. So, when I look at all these different articles, I develop a feeling of desire and my initial impulse might be, "Oh, I want this; I want that." Then, the second thought that arises, I ask myself, "Oh, do I really need this?" The answer is usually no. If you follow after that first desire, that initial impulse, then very soon your pockets will empty. However,the other level of desire, based on one's essential needs of food, clothing and shelter is something more reasonable."

In essence, its a case of deciding if you need something or want something. We all want stuff but do we need that stuff!

It has taken me longer to read than some other books as you tend to read a certain passage again to make sure you have understood the propositions.  I don't very often recommend a book to someone else, mainly because we all like to read different subjects or stories but, on this occasion, everyone needs to read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment