Tuesday 7 February 2012

Coastal Dreams

Whilst Britain has its fair share of problems, it is still the best Country in the world due to its ever changing dramatic coastline. We have it all from fantastic beaches, coastal paths, breathtaking scenery and iconic seaside resorts.
I am always at my happiest at the coast. It's like a wave of wellbeing always seems to envelop me. I could walk for hours looking for fossils or foraging in rock pools and decided last year to try and capture some of that feeling of contentment.

Coastal Dreams started as a photography project first, trying to capture the colours and textures of objects ravaged by the weather. The one problem with this is, instead of taking family shots, I am more happy to photograph peeling paint on a fishing boat or decaying lobster pots. Some of my photographs have been purchased to be used for marketing material, like the one below. The only problem with being reliant on coastal photography is always depending on the weather, so I needed to produce something else which could be produced all year round.

Whilst I was studying my BA Hons in Graphic Design, I rediscovered my love of making things with paper and card. Hence most of my output tended to be craft based, something I would later regret but we all learn from our mistakes.

With this in mind, I have produced a series of artworks which can be purchased as a limited edition handmade version or as a print. The other motivating factor was to be able to help finance my way through my MA along with other freelance design work. I am in the process of establishing a website so we can sell the products online and I have also committed to several, local, craft and art shows, including the Lichfield Medieval Market which has thousands of visitors every year.

We also have a range of clothing in development as well, which should be ready in a month or so. These are utilizing my love of typography and illustration to create a unique product that will hopefully appeal to all ages. Also, there is a range of greeting cards that are being finalized as well as trying to develop a range of windbreaks and parasols with Coastal Dreams artwork on them. There are other ideas scribbled into a notebook which will see the light of day in the very near future and which I will post pictures on here as soon as they are finished.

Below, are just a few of the pictures that will be launching on the new website.......


No comments:

Post a Comment