Wednesday 1 February 2012

Papercrafting Part 1

I spend a lot of time looking at paper craft artists and designers which is where I get a lot of my ideas and inspiration from for my own artworks. This one features Lisa Nilson. A lot of her other work is using found objects and creating what look like memory boxes. Also she is a painter using water based products to create character based images.
What led me to find her paper craft designs, was from a link from another artists website who I will look at in a further Paper crafting entry.
These look simply stunning. Using Japanese mulberry papers to create a 3D representation of anatomical cross sections of the human body. Quilling has been around for many years and has seen quite a resurgence in the last few years as more contemporary artists take the skill and use it to make more modern pieces of work, sometimes using it to make letters to be used in advertising and packaging.

What I love about pieces like this is that they can be treated as stand alone pieces of art or they could be used for an editorial piece on health matters, or a poster for an exhibition on the human body, or as.....well the possibilities are nearly endless.

I think sometimes I fail to see the wider picture when I am thinking about producing some of my paper craft works. I create it for a particular idea and then sometimes forget to expand on the original idea before I have moved on to the next piece. It is something I am trying to consider with my work for Coastal Dreams, where I am producing a picture or a piece of 3D sculpture that could be utilised for something else like a poster, leaflet, piece of packaging design, etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment