Saturday 17 March 2012

Packaging Type

I have been scouring lots and lots of photographs this morning looking for all the shots that I took for my portfolio and trying to put them in some sense of order. Not the easiest job as I have a bad habit of not storing files in a logical order. Another bad trait that has to be sorted sooner than later. I have lost count now of how many bad habits I have to break!

Anyway, I found a file of typography on packaging that I have been adding to the last few months with some of my favourite found designs and also a few recent additions. I just thought I would share because to me, they are gorgeous!


I have started with these as they are a new design by JKR for Billingtons Sugar. The old design wasn't that engaging and lacked the appeal to really stand out on the supermarket shelf.
As well as using the 'B' as a focal point in the design I like the different colour variations and how modern they look.


I have been a fan of Kate Forrester for a while now. I love some of her papercut designs which appeal to my individual style with similar techniques. But a couple of years ago she was asked to design some Christmas packaging ideas for Waitrose.



I love the fresh, clean designs of the letters and how the colours complement each other along with the base colours. I have seen quite a few others try and copy her style but tyeh haven't been able to get the right colour palette or have the same care to detail that Kate has. Some of the other iconic packaging that she has created is also shown below:


I remember watching a programme about someone who was obsessed with chocolate to the point of investing nearly all his money in trying to produce the best chocolate that money could buy. The man was called Willie Harcourt Cooze and seeing the process and hard work he put into the chocolate manufacturing was staggering. It still is one of the most interesting series of programmes I have seen as it isn't very often you get top see the process from imagination to shelf. I can wholly recommend watching the programme which can be found on various websites. As for the packaging design, Taxi Studio in Bristol were the ones chosen for the initial designs. The studio produce some great work and this especially is another of my favourites.



As well as the labels themselves, I really like the old circus inspired poster. Something that I am trying to inject into some of my own designs from now on. Instead of just creating one piece of packaging design, I need to grow the brand into other areas.

The last one for now is some great lettering illustration applied to some guitar effect pedals. I know someone who owns these and they look stunning. The problem was that soon after he bought them he didn't want to get them scratched so they now sit in their individual boxes, never to be used again. So the pictures below are the series of Dr No  Effects and the illustrations were created by Boom Artwork:


No comments:

Post a Comment