Friday 20 April 2012

Inspiring Spaces To Work

I am always moaning about my studio and not having enough room to spread out. My wife argues it's because I have too much stuff but obviously I am going to disagree. I have been thinking a lot lately of different solutions to either find or build a purpose built space that isn't just a converted bedroom. A lot of people are happy with a desk with a laptop but because I enjoy making things, I need a larger work area, (that's one excuse I am sticking to).

So I am always looking at other creative workplaces for ideas and inspiration on what I like and don't like.    There is a lot to be said for having an inspiring place to work that makes you feel comfortable and helps you enjoy the working day. I have had to work in some pretty boring offices in the past full of grey furniture and off white computers and photocopiers. Sitting in a budget chair that can no longer be adjusted, at a plain office supply desk with the obligatory pot plant and leaky bic biro's.

Whilst I was looking at Creative Boom the other day, I noticed a running feature they have on inspiring workplaces, so prepare to be inspired....

The first is Material Lab in London. It is a studio where architects and interior designers can go to explore and be inspired by a huge range of different materials. It is a vibrant and exciting space that you could happily spend hours in.







The next one is Glue Isobar. They are a communications agency who are lucky enough to have a studio that overlooks Regents Park in London.

It is a fantastic open space which has some great recycled pieces of furniture and some tactile railway sleepers that contrast great with some of the metallic surfaces found elsewhere. The beauty of having such a large area is you can add large corkboards and blackboards to scribble ideas on to when you feel like it which is a great excuse for getting away from the computer screen.

I also like when you can see the internal workings of a building with the wiring and ventilation ducting. It makes it less oppressive not having false ceilings in place with headache inducing strip lighting. It's also nice to have a massive table where you can all sit around at meal times or just as a social get together but also having smaller separated rooms to escape to if you need a bit of concentration time or to sit in quiet with a client.








There is one unifying factor about these nice spaces. They are quite tidy and everything has its place. My desk is very rarely that tidy and that also goes for my computer desktop where everything gets dumped over and over again. Even with the best of intentions to stop doing it, it always happens. So maybe a tidy up is upon me and maybe a lot of stuff will end up on Ebay in the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment