Tuesday 29 January 2013

A Change Of Attitude




I have been doing a lot of soul searching this week already, looking at myself and making change for the better. Not just accepting the inevitable but looking at my options in a more positive light. It's that age old proposition, are you a glass half empty or a glass half full type of person. I am sometimes told that I am being a Pessimist sometimes where I just think I am being a Realist because I do think there is a distinct difference.

If I say that I can't do something, it's not a total pessimistic attitude, it can be a realist attitude because there is a real reason behind the initial statement, so it isn't just an open comment. The reason I am a Realist is because I can't do something, I will then find a way to learn how to do it. Not just move on to something I can do instead.

The video above doesn't really give you all the answers and to be honest, it would be impossible because we all have different factors in our lives that affect our emotional state. What it does hint at is trying to reinforce a common message. It did make me think of my current situation of trying to find a job and being told that I am not good enough for that particular role but the reality is that there are a lot more positives than negatives. What I have realized is that the places I have managed to get interviews at and the people I have met and made into contacts, others can only dream of. There is now a huge network of professional designers that I am a part of and have access to.

So flipping a negative in to a real positive isn't that difficult.

Instead of saying, "I don't know how to do that", I now realize just how much I do know how to do which in real terms is a lot more than what I don't know.

Instead of saying, " I can't do that", there is a hell of a lot more that I can do. If this was equated into a picture of a seesaw and you had a bag of positive on one end and a bag of negative on the other, the negative bag should never ever touch the floor.

Just to finish, I was cooking tea last night and one night a week we ask our daughter what she would like to eat as a treat. Last night it was sausage, egg and chips, a staple kids favourite. Whilst cooking the fried eggs, I noticed that I always flip them to cook them properly, covering up the yolk. The best bit is seeing the bright yellow yolk, especially when its runny and you can dip your chips in to it. The Americans have a great phrase when asking how you like your eggs cooked, sunny side up.

So from now on, no covering up and hiding away, its sunny side up for me every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment